WEEHU was an overwhelming success this year, with about 150 kick-ass attendees!
Here is my note of thanks, as con organizer, to all of you:
* Thank you to ALL of our attendees for bringing your enthusiasm, kindness, playfulness, friendliness, knowledge, acceptance and diversity to our event. Every WEEHU has been wonderful in its own way, but I think this year the overwhelming impression of myself and the others I’ve spoken to was that there was something special about the energy of the event this year. We saw Old Guard, total newbies and first timers, sensualists, M/s, D/s, hypnotists, subjects, pet players, age players, AB/DLs, furries, sadists, masochists, monos, polys, queer folk, het folk, folks everywhere on the gender spectrum, introverts, extroverts, long time partners and new connections all existing and engaging together with vulnerability, openness and empathy. I have been to many events and parties and rarely have I seen this level of happy diversity and acceptance. That is something that no amount of scheduling, signage or pre-planning on our part can create–only YOU, the people who show up, can do that. Thank you, from my heart, every one of you, for making that happen!
* Next, thank you to our absolutely STELLAR volunteers this year, who really went above and beyond and brought all their skills to the table. A good volunteer group who works well as a team and self-motivates is priceless. I am positive that despite best efforts, I didn’t get to thank–or even meet–every one of you, but please know that your contributions were greatly appreciated.
* WEEHU was blessed with a really outstanding lineup of presenters this year, who not only taught with knowledge and passion, but also really engaged with the event and made themselves available to our attendees. Thank you SO much, all of you, for donating your time, skills, and energy to us, we were honored to have you there. I’m just sorry I couldn’t see more of your classes or get to know all of you better in person. Attendees–if you have a moment, please do feel free to reach out to the presenters you most resonated with, let them know about your experience, and thank them!
* In particular, we want to thank Dossie Easton for her talk on consent & community on Saturday, the house was packed and I feel we were all deeply enriched by what she had to say and by the conversations she sparked as a result. If you want to speak further with her, she can be found and contacted at DossieEaston.com.
* Thank you to everyone who showed up, taught, learned, took on responsibility, provided support, or otherwise contributed to our first ever REAL Unconference session! The energy you all brought to the table was phenomenal, it was a total success and we have an excellent foundation to make it EVEN BETTER for next year.
* Immense thank you our host hotel, the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Belmont, for being SO nurturing and supportive of our event, and for always offering a friendly face to all our attendees. Without having a venue who is positive and welcoming of who we are and what we do, our event would not be possible. We highly recommend this hotel to ALL our attendees when they’re in the area, and if you are having a local event of any kind, we encourage you to see if this hotel might be a good fit. Thanks in particular to the housekeeping & breakfast-serving staff, who are almost definitely not used to an invading crowd of our size, but always work with us with a cheerful smile.
* Thank you to our Troubleshooters, Ariel & Michele, for pretty much instantly becoming an essential and invaluable addition to our team. All weekend, the two of them were there for people who needed support, who needed someone to talk to when they had concerns or problematic situations, or who just needed someone to listen to them and help them feel safe and accepted. I know that many of you availed yourselves of them as a resource, an I also know that they really gave of themselves in their roles.
* Thank you to Mephki for providing the absolutely MOST hospitable Hospitality Room any event could ever ask for, and for helping us realize the social area in the alcove in the hall that proved to be an anchor for socializing (as well as quiet coloring and grounding) throughout the con. Thank you for rising to the occasion after Dossie’s talk by whipping up lunch for all those who didn’t want to leave yet. Thank you for providing a happy work environment for our volunteers, and for masterminding the food. Thank you for rolling with the punches when random tasks fell into your lap or when things were…perhaps not as well planned as they should have been 😉 Thank you for really giving your all for us and being so dedicated to making WEEHU awesome.
* Thank you to our pizza hookup, Michael, for making our delicious final onsite dinner happen, I think we can all agree that not having to go through the logistics of going off site on Sunday for dinner and being thrust out of the con environment, was a BIG improvement. I personally really, really appreciated having a chill, low-logistics way to connect with folks as the con rolled gently to a close.
* Thank you to WEEHU’s incredible founder & facilitator, Dr. Headcrash! Thank you for all your tireless support of me and of this event in the months leading up to it, despite many big challenges. Thank you for wrangling the dungeon furniture to the hotel on a rainy day! Thank you for helping to lead the Unconference and thank you for keeping me fed and grounded. Thank you for sharing your mentorship and knowledge. And on a personal note, thank you for helping me grow immensely and become the person I am today. The person I was when I met you would have never dreamed of having the confidence to even teach in front of a small group, much less be in charge of a big, complicated event. All my love, devotion and thanks to my wonderful Owner 🙂
* Thanks to GirlFriday for doing an incredible job with volunteer coordination, setup help, and general asskicking and problem-solving! Know that you are loved and appreciated for all you do for us!
* Thanks to MsKittyLove for everything–teaching, making registration run incredibly smoothly and well, being a friendly face for all, and for also a ton of work for us leading up to the event. You are incredible and we are so glad you found the courage to come to WEEHU years ago and really find a place and a voice for yourself. I deeply admire you & am so happy to help facilitate your moving into a leadership role!
* Thank you to my darling Fleur for kicking ass at so many things: for months of work and effort in the months leading up to WEEHU, for your patient, friendly, logistics-heavy work on volunteer introductions and scheduling, for the million little things you did for us during the event, for taking charge and making the onsite meals happen, and for taking care of me. I love you 🙂
* Thank you to LogoDom for the wonderful cartoons you made, chronicling your WEEHU experiences and observations. Your wonderful contributions were made all the more wonderful by being spontaneous and unasked for. And thank you for generously donating many of your drawings to us, and giving us permission to share them. Stay tuned on what that will look like, we are thinking of putting something special together for them!
* Thank you to my incredible husband, cookiesinthejar, for providing mountains of support and facilitation for me throughout the year so that WEEHU can happen, for providing rad music for our playrooms, for extending yourself to provide so many airport rides to folks, for all the little things like doing my chores for me or letting me have my nose in my computer during our time together. Thank you for all your support.
* Thank you to EnergeticIntent for not only your invaluable knowledge and teachings, but for the always calm, welcoming energy you contribute to our event. Thank you for your particular contributions to the Unconference session. Thank you for being you. Thank you for doing way more DMing and loading in/out than you probably expected, and for generally being very gracious and generous with your time.
* Thank you to Max_BLC for, unasked-for, kicking ass at load-out (with no sleep) and volunteering whenever you saw need.
* Thank you to Wiseguy for all your help before the event, and for your ongoing mentorship and support. There are so many things at the event this year that wouldn’t have happened (or at least, not nearly as well) without you.
* Thank you SO MUCH to LuckyAlbatross for your help coordinating rides & presenter needs, and for your support throughout the year.
* Thank you to all those unnamed folks who did something special for the event or for someone else there, who used this event as an opportunity to grow, who challenged themselves, who made new connections, who helped someone else make new connections, who provided support, who mentored, who took care of themselves, who learned, who reflected, who improved, or who otherwise did even one little thing to make our community great. Please take these values home with you and share them with others in the year to come. Oh, and bring your friends to WEEHU next year 😉
Barring unexpected scheduling issues, WEEHU 2017 will be Oct 13-15 2017!
WEEHU Programming Director